If it is it doesn't matter

Friday, February 17, 2006

27 and counting

I have probably overlooked some, but right now the death toll stands at at least 27 as a direct result of Muslim violence in responce to the 'insult' of the cartoons. 10 in Libya, 12 in Afghanistan, 5 in Pakistan (including an 8 year old boy). I'd appreciate anyone telling me any I've missed. I will keep a running total on this blog every day. Is Muslim society the only current one where instituting the Code Duello would mean an improvement?

And no, I do NOT blame the newspapers who originally or subsequently published the cartoons, even if they were meant as deliberate provocations. Free speech MEANS being provocative, and it belongs to everyone, not just to those who can pass a test of political innocuousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home