If it is it doesn't matter

Saturday, February 25, 2006

My problems with Islam 2 -Help and hope, PLEASE

As I said in the last post, I WANT people to argue with me, to show me where I am wrong, to prove my pessimism unjustified. Not the standard apologetics, but some evidence that the moderate, reforming Muslims won't remain in a minority, too often fearful for their lives or freedom. Some evidence that Islam can free itself from its literalness, its paranoia, its double standard that excuses anyone who 'acts in the name of Islam,' or denies it.

The wonderful Egyptian, The Big Pharoah wrote, earlier this month,

"I wrote before that we’re currently in the midst of a clash of civilizations and this clash won’t end unless Islam experience what Christianity and Judaism experienced which is religious reform. However, there is another clash going on, a subset of the larger clash of civilization, a clash between Islam and Christianity.

...

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are marching towards very dark days. The gulf between Islam and the west is getting wider everyday. And the west don’t need to show more tolerance because it has already shown it. It is us who need to change. It is us who need to complete what we started over 80 years ago and got interrupted by fake nationalism and lately chauvinistic religiosity."

He also wrote the "New 10 Commandments" which ended with

"10.Your leaders should know that what was OK in the year 706 might not be OK in the year 2006. I won’t get upset if you changed a few things in the laws and regulations as long as you continue to profess faith in me, pray to me, fast during Ramadan, give alms, and perform Hajj if you’re capable of doing so."

(Both, and much other wisdom is available at
href="href="http://bigpharaoh.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_bigpharaoh_archive.html"

Please, write in and argue with me. I may fight back against the arguments "There are moderate Muslims out there" which there are unless you can tell me they are even considering attempting to gain political power. I will not be quiet if you say "The problem is that people aren't being Islamic enough, and the solution is MORE Islam" unless you've responded to my other points.

But please, write something, not because I need comments, but because I need peace, and to stop doubting my own ability to be tolerant of something I believe is wrong, and to think that Islam is merely wrong the way Christianity is, and not the way Nazism, segregation, and Communism were.

I'll start, in my next post, with a discussion of the Qur'an, of the attitude towards it, and why I think this bleeds over into other aspects of Muslim life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home